1918- First Baptist Birdville had its humble beginnings as a Christian Mission on Lincoln St. (aka Bolling St.). The mission was located in the rear of a store in an area affectionately known as “Old Birdville.” The clergy who served as pastors were Reverends: Green, Ford, Jackson, Johnson, Law, Robinson, Williams and Worrell. After many years on Lincoln St., the church moved to its present location. The original church, built by Rev. C. W. Law was a small wooden structure to which parishioners made additions as needed. Sometime during the early years the Church Recognition Council accepted First Baptist Mission as a Baptist Church.
1952- Rev. Dr. W. H. Mattox was called to pastor the church. During this period he spearheaded the following projects: building a new sanctuary, implementation of the Bus Ministry, the C.W. Law Memorial Chorus and many others. On completion of the new sanctuary, the name of the church officially changed to New First Baptist Church. He served the church faithfully for thirty-three years.
1986- After the death of Rev. Mattox, the church called Rev. Willard Dabney to pastor. He served for approximately one year. During the transitional period, several ministers supplied the pulpit.
December 1989- Rev. James R. Dugger was called to pastor the church as Pastor-Elect after serving nine faithful years at Zion Hill Baptist Church, Farmville, Va.. Rev. Dugger was installed as pastor on March 25, 1990. He initiated and worked diligently to complete such projects as internal and external refurbishing of the church, Increase of youth participation in activities, Membership in the Unified Shiloh Baptist Assoc.., established an annual family and friend day, organization of the male choir and many others. Rev. Dugger served as pastor until his decline in health and death in 1998.
October 1999- Rev. John B. Cole was called as Interim pastor. He served as interim pastor until installed as the church pastor on May 23, 2000. While serving as the pastor he established numerous ministries and programs. Rev. Cole served New First Baptist Church in the pastoral position until March 2010.
From March 6, 2010 to December 4th, 2010- New First Baptist Church was in a transitional period. We were truly under the leadership of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, who had been supplying our pulpit with several ministers to deliver His word. He has also been supplying all of our needs. By His Grace and Mercy we have put a much needed new roof on the church. We were in continuous prayer and waiting on the Lord to direct our path in selecting a pastor
Isaiah 40:31 says:” They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength: They shall mount up with wings as eagles: They shall run and not be weary and they shall walk and not faint.
To God Be the Glory for the Great Things He Has Done!
On Saturday December 4th, 2011 – Rev. Curtis L. Johnson was called to Pastor NFB church as the Pastor-Elect after serving for 2 years as an Associate Minister under the leadership of Rev. Dr. Robert A. Diggs Sr. at Tabernacle Baptist Church, Petg., Va. Rev. Johnson comes to NFB church with many attributes and passions that the Lord has lit in his heart, as well as the qualifications, experience, and training that GOD has equipped him with such as the spiritual gift of preaching and teaching His Word. Pastor Curtis L. Johnson was Installed as the Pastor of NFB Church on Sunday March 6, 2011.